09 March, 2008

The ROGUES - Say You Love Me



The ROGUES - 'Say You Love Me' / 'Secondary Man' (Thunderbird Records 507) 1967

The Rogues hailed from Buffalo, New York and were the same Rogues that released the awesome folk punk jangler 'You Better Look Now' on Audition in 1966. Check it out on Teenage Shutdown Volume 5. The R'n'B rave up 'Train Kept A Rollin' can be heard on Teenage Shutdown Volume 14.

Back to this 45 on Thunderbird. Here The Rogues sound like a completely different band than on their earlier offering. The A-Side 'Say You Love Me' is a straight 60s pop song in the style of The Association. Their song 'Windy' comes to mind. It still remains uncompiled but I'll be giving it a run out on Gear! 10.
The excelent flip 'Secondary Man' was compiled on my comp 'Timelapse Jangle'. It's a magical slice of Beatlesesque 'Revolver' era psychedelia with stunning backwards tape effects.

THE ROGUES - Secondary Man


One of my cyber friends sent me this related information about The Rogues

Just wanted to call your attention to the songwriterz "Calandra/Mallaber" on The Rogues single. Tom Calandra waz the bass player in another Buffalo band RAVEN, who cut a couple of singlez and an album for Columbia Recordz. A live album recorded at local club The Inferno also waz released on a small label Discovery Recordz by a former manager. Gary Mallaber waz the drummer in thiz same band and went on to major fame playing with Van Morrison (Moondance) and the Steve Miller Band among otherz. Tom Calandra (now deceased) waz a very close friend of mine and I know Gary also. Currently he iz drumming for the Chicago Bluez Reunion project with Harvey Mandel, etc. Thought I'd send you some trivia.
Best alwayz----

22 comments:

  1. yeah The Rogues made great records and the A side was written by two of the fellows in the Raven who toured in England and were wanted for Apple Records by George Harrison. And you should hear the version of Secondary Man they cut six months before this one. It tears this one to shreds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any chance I could get an mp3 of the early version of Secondary Man? billnowa@gmail.com
      It's a version that didn't make it to vinyl?

      Delete
  2. Heard The Rogues in their 'club': Rogues Gallery. Think it was on or near Niagara Falls Blvd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Rogues were the Best !!!
    They could sound exactly like any of the bands whose songs they played, Beatles, Stones, R & B groups, etc.
    When they did concerts back in the 1960's girls would scream as if it was the Beatles.
    They released 3 "45's" but it seemed like the B sides were always the best, like Secondary Man and You Better look Now.
    Michael Spriggs, the lead guitarist has had the best post-Rogues career playing with CW bands in Nashville, and is still an A-list session player.
    http://michaelspriggs.com/
    Love them still !!
    Does anyone have any tapes of any of their live performances???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi "June"....send me your email address and I'll forward on an MP3 of this 45.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, you mentioned Raven aka the Rising Sons with Tommy Calandra and Gary Malabar. The lead singer was Tony Galla, who is still singing and playing blues in Los Angeles, California.
    He is still awesome.
    I saw him recently and he did a great imitation of a duet that James Brown and Luciano Pavarotti did of It's a Man's world. Tony Galla sang both parts to perfection.. now that's talent.
    check out him doing a 60's hit,
    In Love...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMP5XgkK2PM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!
    Can anyone post the lyrics of "Secondary Man"? And please share the earlier version of this song!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey your blog design is very nice, neat and fresh and with updated content, make people feel peace and I always like browsing your site.

    - Murk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Murk

    I usually change the colours and fonts on my blog every so often to freshen the place up.
    Nothing worse than something stagnant and 'the same'....I try hard to be different and unique.

    EXPO

    ReplyDelete
  9. My father in law was the guitarist in The Rogues and he has stuff that I can post when he gives me the opportunity to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vivienne - There's loads of info and pics of The Rogues on my site if you follow the links.

    Any other info/pics always appreciated ...tanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. In was a drummer when I met Bob Radel and Michael Spriggs in 1965. I became good friends with all the guys and moved equiptment for the band and occasionaly jammed with them at practice. Gary Jaros was a tough act to follow!!! As people mention here The Rogues were truly a talent... Over the last 45 years I remain good friends with Michael Spriggs. It would be great to find out where Bob Radel is?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary Ellen Baeumler -Baffoni8 December 2011 at 21:12

    I followed this band and even danced in the cages at the Rogues Gallery. These were great times. Where is Bob Radel?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary-Ellen...there is a ton more information and pictures of The Rogues if you follow the link below.

    http://expo67-cavestones.blogspot.com/search/label/Rogues

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hay Anonymous

    Is there a way I can get a copy of the earlier Secondary Man version?
    Would love to get an mp3 at bill.nowakcwa@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard the earlier version of 'Secondary Man'

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is this the band that recorded the song I believe was called "Me/You?"

    If so, I've always thought that was constructed around one of the coolest rhythm beats I've ever heard.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In 1967 I saw The Rogues open for The Lovin' Spoonful and The Beach Boys at The Aud in Buffalo, NY.

    ReplyDelete
  18. In 1967, I saw The Rogues open for The Lovin' Spoonful and The Beach Boys at The Aud in Buffalo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Check out The Rogues on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rogues-Buffalo-NY/412640865482483 .

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't have the unreleased version Of 'Secondary Man' and I've never even heard it Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I lived down the street from Bob Radel. He introduced me to what stereo headphones could do with Sgt. Pepper! I remember when The Who were in town for an early concert and Pete had smashed his last guitar, Bob helped him get into a local music store late at night to replenish his arsenal. We used to go and listen to The Rouges rehearse at the nightclub at the Glen in Williamsville. It was the first time I had ever heard of The Who- The Rouges were covering some of the songs off The Who's first album.

    ReplyDelete