11 June, 2012

THE EVERLY BROTHERS - LONELY AVENUE


THE EVERLY BROTHERS - 'Lonely Avenue' (Warner Brothers W1605) August 1965

(updated entry from 08/07/07)

This morning I paid a visit to my favourite vinyl dealer who sells records from a stall at Chester-le-Street market. I usually come away with something and this morning was no different. This little beauty by The Everly Brothers cost me £10 and it's stone mint. It didn't look like it had ever been played. It plays like a dream. Perhaps the reason I'm so pleased to add this copy to my collection is the fact that it is in glorious mono. All previous re-issues have used the stereo mixes.

This LP from the Everly's catches them in beat mode and I must say the album is a genuine must have for anyone into 65/66 beat and RnB. All songs except the original 'Man With Money' are late 50s/early 60s covers. I really dig the original version of 'Man With Money'. This was the flip of the hit 45 'Love Is Strange' and I'm in no doubt this is where obscure English freakbeat bands like The Eyes and The Wild Uncertainty heard the song first. Both bands made the song into a mod killer. The Who also covered 'Man With Money' but their version remained unreleased until it was placed on 'A Quick One' re-issue CD by Polydor in the 90s.

Other stand out's on Beat & Soul is the cover of 'C.C. Rider' I wasn't expecting fuzz guitars but classy fuzz action is what you get. Rockin' versions of 'Walking The Dog', 'Money' and 'Hi Heel Sneakers' also get the EXPO67 seal of approval. The melancholic downer, 'Lonely Avenue' is a personal favourite.
I'm not sure if this music could have sounded dull because after all the Everly's used session greats such as Glen Campbell, James Burton, Sonny Curtis on guitars, Billy Preston on piano, Leon Russel on keyboards, Larry Knechtel on bass and Jim Gordon on drums.






Billboard - September 1965

No comments:

Post a Comment