13 January, 2013

MILAN - A RETROSPECTION 1964 - 1969


During the Summer of 2012 I decided to collect as many records by Milan a.k.a. The Leather Boy as I could find. I already had a fair number in my collection but decided to concentrate my efforts on the songs he wrote for other groups.

It took me about four months to track down obscure 45s by  The Chanters, The Doughboys, The Unclaimed, Ice Cream and The Downtown Collection. I also added a few released as World Of Milan.

Milan had his own style, even when other groups recorded his songs, I could detect Milan in the mix. He definately followed his own path of ideas and was unique.

I made six CDs and sent some contacts a copy. All I asked for was a small donation to cover my costs and the shipping etc.

Since I compiled this set, Milan has had his story told in the latest Ugly Things.
Maybe one day his work will be compiled professionally by a re-issue label, but until then here's a retrospection of Milan's work remastered direct from original vinyl and NOT sourced from crappy lo-fi sounding MP3s.

MILAN - A RETROSPECTION 1964 - 1969

7 comments:

  1. What a FANTASTIC comp! I knew most if not all of Milan's tracks but not the rest recorded by others. The whole thing plays bautifully and as soon as it's over you just want to start again!
    Was there not in fact a comp that had been issued fairly recently? I seem to recall a review on UT in fact...
    Thanks a lot for putting it together and sharing it with the world! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi aldo

    There was a Milan LP comp released a few years ago. I've not got it or even heard it but I'm led to believe that the compiler used several poor sounding MP3s for his release.

    I uploaded my collection in 320kbps MP3s in MONO. All cuts are direct from original 45s out of my collection.

    Some of those 45s were tricky to find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm listening to it once again, as I write, wonderful stuff and sounding great that's for sure!
    have you ever come across this? http://milanakarickrodell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'm actually Facebook friends with two members of the Milan family. I sent them a CD of this as they hadn't heard many of the 45s before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - Who is "Heaven here We Come/Head Shop" credited to? There isn't a name on only those two tracks. Thanks for the great music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those two songs were taken from a stereo album by The Head Shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hell Bent for Leather LP didn't use any MP3 except the edited hidden track at the end corresponding to the 1st 45 of Milan 'Santa’s Doin’The Twist '. All other songs are coming from vinyls, patiently collected (more than 4 months).
    The sound on the LP is great, try it and you'll hear that it is not MP3 based.
    Milan was a true 60s gem and the goal of the LP is to make it known by a bigger audience, Greg Shaw (1949-2004) who put the Bomp got the idea of this anthology first.
    I do hope an official anthology will emerge but seems very difficult to the numerous different labels he was on.
    Going further, a movie on his sadly short life could be great with a great potential if you're able to put a little greater than life ingredients.
    Keep on talking about Milan, There's still a lot of things to find, he remains one of the greatest outsiders producer and author.
    And keep it humble, he is the guy behind all of this, not us, we're not even born or almost

    ReplyDelete