THE AVENGERS - I TOLD YOU SO


THE AVENGERS - "I Told You So" / "Shipwrecked" (Star-burst Records 128) March 1966

One of the many delights of having a music blog, mostly dedicated to 60s garage and psychedelic groups, is that sometimes one of the members of a 45 I review gets in touch with me. Over the years I've been fortunate to have made contact with Greg Likins, Gerry Blake and Gary Bernard from the mighty Avengers.

The Avengers were from Bakersfield but recorded most of their music at Gary S. Paxton's home studio in Los Angeles. 'I Told You So' is a catchy garage rocker and deserved to be a hit. The label indicates a B-Side but the song appears to have been the favoured side. It was listed on the KAFY radio chart. It was written by Kenny Johnson who went on to form The Chocolate Tunnel.

'Shipwrecked' sounds heavily influenced by Northern Ireland band Them, the vocal delivery is pure Van Morrison.

 my Avengers Facebook tribute page

KAFY Radio Chart - The Avengers at number 39 with "I Told You So" Scan from ARSA.


 

Comments