COLOURS - BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK, BABY



COLOURS - "Love Heals" / "Bad Day At Black Rock, Baby" (Dot 45-17132) August 1968

This was the second single released from the Colours superb Beatles-esque album. August 1968 was the release but of course the music on both sides of the disc were recorded during late 1967.
I can only presume that the "Sgt Pepper" influenced "Love Heals" was the choice of A-Side simply because I found a music sheet online. I didn't buy it but downloaded the image for this post. I don't expect many of these to have been produced or survived the ravages of time for that matter.

My pick though is the superlative "Bad Day At Black Rock, Baby" with it's stunning orchestration, time changes, eerie harmonies and of course the subject matter. Some freak going out to rob a liquor store with a wooden gun, polished and painted black to look real. This situation is gonna end in carnage.





Billboard - September 1968

Comments